Friday, November 23, 2012

In praise of cousins

My family is small: I am one of 2 kids, I have 2 kids, my sister only has one kid, each of my parents were one of 2 kids...you have to go back to my grandparents to get to a family with more. So even the extended family is small, and because they're all in Germany, and my sister is several provinces away, basically my family is my own 2 kids.

But I do have one cousin, the son of my mother's brother, who despite distance, and irregular email contact, and seeing each other in person maybe once every 5 or 10 years, is FAMILY. I joke and call him my favourite cousin (he's my only cousin), but really, God made a mistake - he should have been my brother. When we do get to hang out, it's like we saw each other just last week.

So, in honur of Amurrican Thanksgiving, and because I didn't post on Canadian T'giving, I am thankful for cousins, especially mine. And I will email you today, I promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment