Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Don't throw that away! 2.0

One of my many obsessions is an inability to stop collecting houseplants - I have only to see one at the grocery store, marked down to bargain-clearance prices and languishing for lack of sun and care, to instantly feel so sorry for the poor thing that I have to take it home, love it and squeeze it and name it George. My windowsills are crowded with African violets, ivies, philodendrons, all the standard species, but lately I have discovered a new and exciting version of this fun game: growing your own from things in your kitchen!!

Like the little cuties below - those are baby dragon fruit cacti! Super easy to germinate, too, just eat the dragon fruit, save the seeds, plant, and apparently almost 100% germination.

I also have a citrus tree that is almost 4 feet high; I can't remember what kind of citrus, all I recall is randomly poking some seeds in amongst another plant. By the time they germinated, I had forgotten what they were, but it's one of either lemon, orange or grapefruit. Here is another, this one a clementine:


(You knitters might recognize my shalom sweater :) ) I'm also trying my third pineapple top - not having a lot of success yet, but I'm not giving up. So much potential life in tiny seeds or discarded leaves or roots or stems - I feel guilty every time I throw them away. Cue Monty Python's "Every Sperm is Sacred" here, I guess, how stupid of me. And I am pro-choice all the way when it comes to humans, and I'm all over the whole spay/neuter your pet - BUT WON'T SOMEONE THINK OF THE PLANTS???????





No comments:

Post a Comment